IRAQ – At least 30 injured in major fire at Iraq fuel facility

At least 30 people were injured in a major fire at a fuel depot and bitumen plant in Iraq’s Sulaimaniyah province early Tuesday, according to local officials and media reports.

The blaze erupted shortly after midnight at a facility in the Tangro industrial area, where tanks containing petrol, diesel and bitumen caught fire. The incident was followed by a series of powerful explosions as the highly flammable materials burned.

Emergency crews from the civil defence service fought the fire for more than four hours before bringing it under control, officials said.

The flames cast a glow over the night sky and were reportedly visible from locations up to 60 kilometres from the site.

Sulaimaniyah’s director-general of health initially said that at least 20 people had been injured. The reported number later rose to around 30, with most of the casualties believed to be workers and other personnel at the facility.

Several people were treated at the scene, while those who sustained more serious burns were transported to hospital.

Reports said that all but one of the injured had been discharged following treatment. An Iranian national remained in hospital because of the severity of his injuries.

Photo credit: Saudi Gazette. All rights reserved.